For this post, I wanted to write about characters I haven’t really gotten a chance to write about yet. As always, it was hard to narrow it down!
1. Kate from Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew
Katherine is amazing because she is all sass and backbone. She has the best lines in the play. Her banter with Petruchio is genius. When I read the play in high school, I was like all I want is a Petruchio to my Katherine! It’s awesome to see such a developed and prominent woman in classic literature.
2. Eric Northman from the Sookie Stackhouse books
Eric MAKES these books. I don’t care if you shipped Sookie with someone else or whatever your views on vampire politics are. Eric is the sexiest. He’s hilarious, has the best lines, is ruthless, and has a soft spot for Sookie. Eric is described in the books as having a joie de vivre or zest for life, and I think this makes him such a fun character.
3. Dumbledore from Harry Potter
Obviously there are a billion Harry Potter characters to love, but I picked Dumbledore because we never really know everything about him. He’s wise, funny, mysterious, brave, and kind. He goes from being this infallible mentor to being a normal human being who doesn’t know all the answers (you know what I mean). He has so many layers and genuinely cares about his students. Also, he has a birthmark shaped like a map of the London underground. If that’s not handy, I don’t know what is.
4. Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones
Listen up, everyone. If you don’t know Daenerys, you don’t know nothing ’bout being a badass. I’m scared that I’ll spoil something for people who haven’t read/ watched the series, but I can tell you she is one of the most awesome characters of all time. She’s well developed throughout the series, evolving as a person and a leader. She’s Mother of Dragons. SHE HAS THREE DRAGONS. She uses her heart and her mind to rule, and that’s the most badass thing anyone can do.
5. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables
Anne Shirley is great because she is irrefutably herself, no matter what. She is a true romantic. She loves nature and poetry and romance. Her adventures are hilarious. She’s a loyal friend and daughter. She stands up for what she believes in, even when her hair is different or things don’t go her way or she falls off a roof trying to prove a point. She holds her head high and sees the beauty in the world.
- The 36 Best Eric Northman Moments From “True Blood” (buzzfeed.com)
- The Taming of the Shrew (jessiesartain.wordpress.com)
- Newest Harry Potter Movie Features Dumbledore’s Last Will and Testament (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Daenerys, mother of dragons (missdolkapots.wordpress.com)
- Anne of Green Gables (bubblesandboots.wordpress.com)